Trip to Tatacoa desert and San Agustín Archaeological Park
• Enjoy spending the night in small local inns, set in the heart of the desert, and spending time with your friendly hosts.
• Head to the Tatacoa’s astronomic observatory to learn about the celestial bodies – see them clearly in the dazzlingly starry night sky, free from light pollution.
• Discover the colonial village of San Agustín, its archaeological relics and all the stunning nature which surrounds this magical setting.
surrounds this magical setting.
• Explore the San Agustín Archaeological Park, declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO.
• We will meet you in Villavieja. We can pick you up from the airport or bus terminal in Neiva for an additional cost. You will be taken on a tour of the town, visiting important sites such as the Palaeontology Museum and the Totumo Museum, dedicated to a fruit from the region which is used to make beautiful handicrafts. You will also visit the Valle de La Tatacoa theme park to be taken back to prehistoric times. In the afternoon, your adventure in the desert will begin, including visits to natural settings such as Ventana, Los Hoyos and Cusco, which is located near the observatory. You will also have the chance to enjoy a relaxing dip in a natural pool. Your night’s accommodation will be in the town of Villavieja.
• After breakfast in Villavieja, you will set off towards San Agustín, in the south of the Huila department. The journey will take between 5 and 7 hours and take you through a range of landscapes, from moorland plains to imposing mountains. The transport is not included in the plan, but there are a number of facilities in the region.
• Upon arrival in San Agustín, you will visit the San Agustín Archaeological Park and make your way around the various areas, the Lavapatas Fountain, the Forest of Statues and the archaeological museum. This park was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1995. You will spend the night in a hotel in San Agustín.
• After breakfast, you will take a tour by car of the natural and archaeological sites of El Tablón, the Chaquira viewpoint, the strait of Magdalena, La Pelota and El Purutal, as well as the Salto de Bordones and the Obando archaeological museum. You will then return to your hotel, where your journey will end.
Please note: the order of the itinerary may change depending on the starting point of the travellers.
• Transport by horse or by car, depending on the sites outlined in the itinerary.
• One night in Villavieja in multiple accommodation (subject to availability).
• One night in multiple accommodation in a rural hotel in San Agustín (subject to availability).
• Two breakfasts per person.
• Bottle of water for the walk in the desert.
• Local Spanish-speaking guide.
• Entrance to: natural pool, observatory, Valle de La Tatacoa theme park, San Agustín Archaeological Park.
• Travel insurance for the expedition.
does not include:Transport:
• Transport to and from Villavieja.
• Transport Villavieja - San Agustín.
• Additional transport.
• Additional nights.
• Personal spending.
• Unstipulated costs.
Choose your dates
|Date id||departure date||arrival date||Price||Pre-book|
*The prices depend on minimal quota.